We invite requests and referrals.
We are identifying attorneys and accountants known NOT to unnecessarily kill company buy/sell transactions. We also want to know appraisers whose reports make sense to all (including sources of financing) parties to buy/sell transactions.
- We can include them in our unpublished client referral directory.
- People do not pay to be in our client referral directory.
- We do not charge for professional introductions.
- We do not identify people referring advisors to us unless they expressly instruct us to do so.
Want a referral to an accountant, attorney and/or business appraiser?
One of the most difficult and risky tasks for the buyers and sellers of companies is the formation of their respective advisory teams. Done correctly, it can enable profitable done deals.
- We try to connect advice-seekers with professionals known to share our values (i.e., they competently and in a timely manner facilitate deals that should and do occur). It’s how we think the buyers and sellers of small and midsize companies deserve to be served.
As to selecting your advisory team: Hire people with a proven history of working for buyers and sellers of the kind and size of deal you intend. Ask how they have facilitated deals that should and did occur. Hire deal makers, deal closers.
Avoid the wrong kind of deal killer. There are two kinds of deal killers:
- There are advisors who don’t know enough about dealmaking for small and midsize companies. Not wanting to make mistakes these poseurs are more likely to poo-poo deals or, worse, bless them.
- The other kind of deal killer is adequately experienced, which means when they try to kill the deal, do it.
We have a longstanding planning, screening and interview process in use by our clients.
- It enables them to optimally form and balance their advisory team.
Planning for the best. Coping with the worst.
There is a big difference between attorneys who advise on transactions instead of litigation. While someday you might become embroiled in disputes and litigation, if right now you want to sell, acquire or merge a company, a “transactional attorney” may be more likely to see and facilitate the upside of your business potential and protect your downside on the basis of having helped clients achieve win-win done deals.
Similarly, you can get a better result if all the members of your advisory have a future-focus; if the can help you discover and exploit opportunities instead of turning every potential risk into a life-threatening situation. Sure, it’s important to detect vulnerabilities. And the best advisors can show you how to fix or live with them within an already-profitable company.
Worthwhile advisors, remote from their clients, involve talent local to their clients if necessary, just like we Business Buyer Advocates ® do for our clients.
Here are open requests that we want to fulfill:
- “Can you refer me to a CPA who specializes in tax minimization for M&A and family offices?”
- “Looking for legal advice to acquire a Boston manufacturer reporting $500,000 pretax profit.”
- “Seeking a business valuation that can help me break the logjam with a seller whose $7 million asking price is too high (according to my advisory team).
The best professional advisors have zero time to waste on people seeking advice who can’t succinctly explain their situation. Be aware that it is the size and kind of company that you own or want to acquire that determines the kind of advisors that will be willing to talk to you. Whether or not you seek a referral from us, if you want to be taken seriously, include this information in your initial inquiry:
- Your full contact information, including a link to your online profile and/or website.
- The minimum amount of annual pretax net profit that is generated by whatever kind of company you want to acquire or want to sell.
- Tip: The more you define, upfront, what you want to accomplish, the higher the probability of attracting the best advisors.
What to be referred to potential clients?
Help us identify the best accountants, attorneys and/or business appraisers who serve the buyers and sellers of small and midsize companies located in the USA and Canada.
This can be win-win for everyone; it can strengthen your reciprocal referral relationships.
Other kinds of professionals, such as business brokers, consultants and exit planners, can get referrals from us if they refer to us the best accountants, attorneys and/or business appraisers.
We only want to know professionals who can prove their substantial track record facilitating win-win done deals for buyers and sellers of privately held companies with transaction values ranging from $1-$20 million.
We’re looking for the kinds of people that lenders like to see on their customer’s advisory teams.
Free monthly e-newsletter:
If you like the kind of information you see on our website, please subscribe. We’ll also invite you to our free continuing education events.
We do not disclose your email address or any other information about you to anyone outside our company.
Ted J. Leverette
The Original Business Buyer Advocate ® Since the 1970s
“Partner” On-Call Network, LLC
Your access to, use of and reliance on our website and services and content accessed through our website and services is entirely at your own risk. Our website and services (including, without limitation, the website, programs, services, forums and content accessed through the website, programs, services and forums) is provided on an “as is” or “as available” basis without any warranties of any kind.
All express and implied warranties (including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of proprietary rights) are expressly disclaimed.